Sunday, September 04, 2005

Where I donated

After some thought and research on Charity Navigator (thanks, Ish!), I chose Desire Street Ministries International as the charity I would give to in response to Hurricane Katrina.

Two reasons for this choice:

1. The high percentage of donations that go toward relief programs, as opposed to administrative/marketing costs, per the report on Charity Navigator.
2. It's a church/community center/college prep academy smack-dab in the center of the poorest area of New Orleans, which is where the worst flooding occurred.

I was also charmed by the name "Desire Street," as it brings to mind one of my favorite works of American theatre, A Streetcar Named Desire.

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers..."
-Blanche DuBois

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home