Tuesday, May 02, 2006

ups and downs...

[this may merely be pms-y of me, but still...]

i started a truly fabulous new job yesterday. one that falls squarely in the "do what you love" camp. very excited.

so when i was taking the elevator downstairs this evening, after a second day of time-flying-by, i found out that my decision to join the company had been considered something of a coup on my new boss' part. that made me smile.

but there have been some bad things, too.

kristy's dad died today. devastating news.

but she does seem to have steeled herself sufficiently well, having gone through the whole cancer nightmare with her mother. and her bf has once again proven himself to be a complete doll.

i was deeply honored to have met, entertained and played jeopardy (the portable board game version) with john sammis a couple of months ago. he was a sharp, funny and intensely interesting man who undoubtedly made a mark on this world -- and it is a very great shame that he didn't start that blog kristy finally managed to talk him into writing.

.............

much more superficially, i had a supremely "bad body day" in that i was horrified at the way my brand-new photo badge (for building security) came out. OK, who the fuck IS that scary looking woman staring back at me, for gawd's sake??? ugh. no wonder i get called "Ma'am" all the time now.

:( :( :( :( :(

and then, to add injury to insult, i was stopped by two young (italian?) men tonight as I walked home on Haight Street. stopped and basically mocked for being too old/too fat/too unattractive to merit their attentions. i don't know exactly why they did this, probably because they were drunk, but apparently they thought it would be funny to pretend to hit on me and then laugh uproariously as i passed by.

putting it all into perspective, i realize that i have been hit on zillions more times than i have ever been made fun of. and not just by italians, because -- let's face it -- they're dogs.* it would not be unrealistic of me to boast that i have had the arguably, um... interesting "good fortune" of being considered notably hit-on-worthy many a time in my life.

getting older does help with the whole perspective thing.
but still: sigh.








* eesh, that sounds terribly non-pc of me. but i do have some actual real-life experience (good friends and ex-boyfriends) to back up this assertion. basically, my feelings got hurt, so i lashed out. i'd appreciate it if you didn't sue me ;-)

at any rate, i actually fucking LOVE Italy and Italians. so much so that I would give just about anything to live there someday. not insignificantly, because i adore their lust for life and (by extension)
s-e-x. :-)

3 Comments:

At Wed May 03, 10:22:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for the new job. M told me all about it and it sounds fab.

Also, I find that ice cream helps a bad body day. :)

 
At Fri May 05, 04:05:00 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Hey Riseyp! Thanks for stopping by my blog and giving me fab suggestions for the campaing-bus-cd. I agree that they are good choices....I think I now may have to made 2 CDs! Thank god I love him (the husband, not the politician).

Congrats on your new job! Having a job that you truly love, now that's not something alot of people can say!

good for you!

 
At Sat May 06, 05:00:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, Ive tried to reason with you to make you feel better but obviously its not enough. So, why dont you move on and be happy with someone who doesnt call you ma'am or say you suck. In spite of the cruelty, youll be fine. If you have a new job thats great at least your bills will be paid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home